With summer vacations around the corner, you must already be planning where to go this year. Among the most important essentials to pack in your bag is your baby’s sunscreen lotion!
Playing in the sun, is essential as it helps the body to formulate Vitamin D.
Vitamin D is very essential for a kids bone and muscle growth, boosting immunity and hormone development.
Some amount of sun exposure is absolutely essential for everyone – babies and kids included. While sun exposure is welcome, sunburns are not! So, you’re planning a day on the beach or out in the park, then you need a good sunscreen lotion for your kid.
- Why a sunscreen is required for babies and kids
- How to choose a safe and natural Sunscreen for kids
- Best Suncreen For Babies And Kids In India
- #1. Lotus Herbals Safe Sun Kids Sun Block Cream SPF 25
- #2. Sebamed Sun Lotion
- #3. Himalaya Herbals Protective Sunscreen Lotion
- #4. Azafran Organics D’fend SPF 50+ Crème
- #5. MamaEarth Mineral Sunscreen
- #6. Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Stick Sunscreen Broad Spectrum Spf 70
- #7. Chicco Sun Cream Spf 50+
- #8. Banana Boat Kids’ Water-Resistant Tear-Free 50+
- #9. Mom & World Mineral Based Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50 PA+++
- #10. Alba Botanica Kids Mineral Sunblock SPF 30
- Tips on how to use sunscreen correctly
Why a sunscreen is required for babies and kids
Babies and kids skin is softer and more sensitive than adults. In fact, babies’ skin is 20% softer than adults. This makes their skin more prone to sunburn than adults. Dermatologists worldwide recommend that all wear sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 or higher.
Don’t use any sunscreen on your baby if he/she is less than 6 months old. Make your baby wear full sleeves shirts and pants, along with a hat to protect from Sun.
How to choose a safe and natural Sunscreen for kids
Keep in mind the following points when choosing a good sunscreen:
- Sunscreens containing “Zinc Oxide” are more effective. They are considered safer for children and are broad spectrum as well.
- SPF should be a minimum of 15 and can be up to 30 SPF. While there are sunscreens that have 50 SPF protections as well – it really does not give much additional protection.
- Always choose a broad spectrum sunscreen. This will provide skin protection from both UVA and UVB types of sun rays.
- A mineral sunscreen is the safest option for kids.
Here are some of good mineral based sunscreen brands listed as safe by EWG. Most of the ingredients are organic and natural.
Best Suncreen For Babies And Kids In India
#1. Lotus Herbals Safe Sun Kids Sun Block Cream SPF 25
- Zinc coated micro fine titanium dioxide: Physical sunscreen agent which is mild on skin but very good UV ray blocker
- No harmful chemicals
- 100 percent goodness
- 99.9 percent naturals
- Paediatrician recommended
- No preservatives
- Ph. balanced
- Clinically tested
#2. Sebamed Sun Lotion
- It is water resistant and comes with a SPF 50+ which blocks out 98% of UVB rays.
- With a pH value of 5.5, the product makes sure that the baby’s skin stays soft and protected from from the harsh rays of the sun along with protecting the baby from allergies.
#3. Himalaya Herbals Protective Sunscreen Lotion
- Protects skin from UVA and UVB rays
Cinnabloc. With SPF 15
- Usage: Before going out, apply a generous amount of Himalaya Protective Sunscreen Lotion on all the areas exposed to the sun, including the face. Use the sunscreen lotion on a daily basis. Carry the light and portable sunscreen lotion with you wherever you go.
#4. Azafran Organics D’fend SPF 50+ Crème
- Protects the skin from seasonal pollution, smoothes wrinkles, reduces pigmentation, sun burn and sun tan
- Provides 4 star uva protection which blocks more than 90% of the sun rays
- Gets absorbed into the skin quickly and does not make the skin white
- Ideal for all year round usage, whatever the weather
- Suitable for kids 2+ years
#5. MamaEarth Mineral Sunscreen
- Asia’s 1st MadeSafe certified toxin free brand
- Active zinc oxide – SPF 20+ protection with minerals of zinc oxide against the harsh UV rays
- Deeply nourishing – enriched with goodness of calendula extracts, shea and cocoa butter to deeply nourish baby’s skin
- Dermatologically tested – clinically tested In Europe, hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin.
#6. Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Stick Sunscreen Broad Spectrum Spf 70
- 0.47-ounce stick of sunscreen
- Convenient sunscreen stick helps prevent sunburn
- For kids’ wet or dry skin
- Broad Spectrum SPF 70 sun protection
- Helioplex Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB protection
#7. Chicco Sun Cream Spf 50+
- Chicco Sun Cream, with very high protection, is specifically formulated for the sensitive and delicate baby’s skin.
- The formula nourishes skin, protecting it from the rays of sunlight (UVA and UVB). With Vitamin E.
- Microbiologically and dermatologically tested. Water resistant, fragrance-free and hypoallergenic.
#8. Banana Boat Kids’ Water-Resistant Tear-Free 50+
- Banana boat water resistant- tear free sunscream lotion for kids spf 50+ (90 ml)
- Broad spectrum uva and uvb protection
- Water resistant (80 minutes)
- Sting-free and tear-free so no painful distractions
- Alcohol-free and helps to avoid irritation and dryness, even on sensitive skin
#9. Mom & World Mineral Based Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50 PA+++
- Provides Your Baby and Kids With Broad Spectrum SPF 50 – UVA/UVB Protection, Compact, Perfect for Traveling, Water Resistant
- Mineral Based Formula – Quickly Absorbing Zinc and Titanium-based Formulation Delivers Excellent Protection From the Sun’s Harmful Rays.
- It Is Non-greasy, Non-allergenic and Can Be Used Anywhere on the Body Where the Sun Is Going to Shine.
- Specially Formulated to Be Non-irritant and Ideal for Baby and Kid’s Sensitive Skin.
- The Extra Sensitive Formula Blends Gently Into the Skin, Formulated Without Parabens, Sulfates, Mineral Oil, and Harmful Chemicals.
#10. Alba Botanica Kids Mineral Sunblock SPF 30
- It is not greasy. It also doesn’t leave white residue like other sunscreens Water-Resistant (Up To 80 Min)
- NO: parabens, phthalates, or synthetic fragrances
- Recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation
- Tear Free
- Vegetarian Ingredients
- Broad spectrum uva and uvb protection
- Gluten-free with aloe vera, sunflower oil and tropical fruit extracts .
Tips on how to use sunscreen correctly
- Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before you are planning to step out.
- First apply the body lotion you use and then apply sunscreen.
- Cover your exposed face and hands and legs with sunscreen.
- Sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 2 hours.
Which sunscreens or sunblock do you use? Which brand of sunscreen do you use and consider safe for your kids? What are your major concerns this summer regarding your kids skin?