Polio is an infectious viral disease against which immunization in the form of Pulse Polio is given. The Govt of India has released the Pulse Polio Dates 2018. The starting five-seven years are important to nurture your little babies from the deadly disease like polio.
Newborn babies should also be given Polio drops. You can give polio drops in additions to routine immunization doses as polio drops are essential part of your child’s immunization. Routine polio vaccination at birth, 6 weeks, 10 weeks and 14 weeks of age is also essential for your child.
Also Read: Standard Height And Weight Chart For Babies in India
- Pulse Polio Dates in 2018:
- Precautions For Pulse Polio Vaccine
- What is Polio, infantile paralysis?
- Is Polio preventable in India?
- Types of Polio In India
- Symptoms of Polio
Pulse Polio Dates in 2018:
28th January 2018 & 11th March 2018
Here are the Pulse Polio Schedule 2018 for major cities
|City Name||Pulse Polio Dates|
|Bangalore||March 11 2018 and 28 Jan 2018|
|Delhi||March 11 2018 and 28 Jan 2018|
|Pune||March 11 2018 and 28 Jan 2018|
|Mumbai||March 11 2018 and 28 Jan 2018|
|Ahmadabad||March 11 2018 and 28 Jan 2018|
|Chandigarh||March 11 2018 and 28 Jan 2018|
Also Read: Best And Safe Baby Lotion in India
Watch Video To Understand Why Your Child Needs Polio Vaccine
Precautions For Pulse Polio Vaccine
- If your baby is not well before giving the vaccine, inform the doctor and ask him if your baby should be given the vaccine or not.
- Feed the baby before getting the vaccine done as nothing should be given to the child for half an hour after getting the vaccine.
- Bring your child’s favorite toy or something to distract him.
- There may be slight pain or fever after the pulse polio vaccine dose. Keep an eye on your baby’s temperature. If you notice anything abnormal – then contact your doctor.
Why Are Polio Pulse Immunizations important?
1. Experts say you can protect your child against more diseases than ever before. Diseases can be eliminated by proper immunization.
2. It is safe and effective: Vaccines are made by scientists, after decades of research and test in the laboratories. Sometimes very rare allergic reactions you may happen and you can see redness or tenderness.
What is Polio, infantile paralysis?
Polio is an infectious viral disease that in its various critical form causes nerve/tissues damage leading to paralysis, problem breathing and sometimes causes death.
There is the weakness in muscle that results in an inability to move. The first target of polio are usually the legs but it can affect the muscles of the head, neck, and diaphragm. Polio is generally spread from person to person through infected fecal matter entering the mouth or by edible products or contaminated water.
Is Polio preventable in India?
Of course, Polio is preventable with the polio vaccine and various vaccination doses are needed for it to be effective. Those who frequently travel to countries where the disease is occurring, they are suggested to take prevention because if you get infected once treatment is difficult.
India has not reported a single case of polio caused by the poliovirus since 2012 to 2014. But in 2014-15, India had reported 4 cases from 4 different States, of vaccine-derived polio. The government has also introduced an Injectable Polio Vaccine (IPV) in its routine immunization programme, hoping to eradicate polio altogether.
Also Read: Top Indian Baby Nicknames
Types of Polio In India
#1. Paralytic Polio:
Paralytic form of polio is rare but serious. Its initial symptoms are similar to non paralytic polio but with time it gets worsened.
#2. Non paralytic Polio:
The cases of non paralytic polio can be seen generally. Its symptoms can be confused with normal illness but when it comes to your child’s health, you should not ignore such traits.
Well, before knowing the symptoms you first have to know how many types of polio and how you can aware and later cure your child of it.
Nonparalytic polio and paralytic polio, are the two types of this deadly disease and by their names, it is very clear that which cause what. People who develop symptoms from the poliovirus contract a type of polio that doesn’t lead to paralysis.
Symptoms of Polio
We know, “Precaution is better than cure” and one should not ignore the following symptoms of Polio. Here are the symptoms of Nonparalytic polio which can last up to 10 days:
- Fever: If you observe mild fever more than 2-3 days consult the doctor.
- Headache: Whenever your kid is having headache, you need to pay attention to this problem. Don’t consider weather or tiredness, the reason of headache.
- Back & Neck pain or stiffness: The pain in the neck, back, arms or legs can also be the sign of it.While, Sore throat, Vomiting, Fatigue and Muscle weakness or tenderness are some other signs that need your attention.
Here are the traits of paralytic polio:
This is the rare but most serious form of polio and their initial sings are exact like nonparalytic polio-like fever and headache, but soon other symptoms appear:
- Loose and floppy limbs (flaccid paralysis)
- Post-polio syndrome
- Loss of reflexes
- Severe muscle aches or weakness
Causes of Polio in India
Protect your children from direct contact with the infected person because poliovirus can be transmitted through direct contact or even through contaminated food and water.
Poliovirus mainly attacks children younger than 5-years-old. While those children who haven’t been immunized are at the chance of catching the disease. And, lead to complications like temporary or permanent muscle paralysis, disability, bone deformities, and death.
Also Read: Best Oil For Baby Massage
Prevention Of Polio in India
To prevent this disease the most effective and suggested way by the doctor it vaccination. However, parents also need to be aware of any existing allergies in their families that might cause a reaction from vaccines.