Our Top Picks
It’s confusing isn’t it? Trying to decide which microwave oven to go for? With so many brands available in India – how do you decide which is the best microwave oven for yourself?
Don’t worry – this Best Microwave Oven In India 2019 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide will answer all your questions. It will help you choose the best microwave oven that is right for YOU.
After becoming a mom, I decided that I wanted to make tasty as well as healthy snacks for my kids. I also wanted to learn baking since long. So, I began researching for the best oven in India for baking and got some good models. Living in flat, we all have small kitchens – so I decided it’s better to go for a convection microwave oven. Because it does the functions of both – a microwave as well as an oven. Let me explain.
What is a microwave oven exactly?
A microwave oven is a combination of both – a microwave and an oven. They can cook, re-heat, grill food and bake your food – all-in-one. A microwave uses electromagnetic waves to quickly and efficiently cook your food. Convection ovens does baking like a normal oven. They use a fan to distribute heat evenly throughout the oven. It doesn’t make sense to have two separate appliances taking up space in your kitchen.
AND that’s the best part of a convection microwave oven – you can bake in it like a normal oven. And you can use it as a microwave with all its auto-cook options that allow you to make tasty and delicious dishes in less
If you’re in a hurry here are the best microwave options:
- If you’re looking for a microwave just to heat food, go for this one.
- If you want to do grilling and heating go for this one.
- If you’re looking to do all three functions on a budget for this good value microwave oven.
- If you simply want the best without worrying about price, go for this one.
If you have time and wish to make an informed decision. Please read on. We discuss in detail, why you need a microwave oven, which kinds are available, and how to choose one for your family. Most importantly what features to look for. It’s your hard earned money so choose wisely.
- Why you need to buy a microwave oven – 5 Awesome Benefits
- What are the types of microwave ovens available in India?
- Finding the Best Convection Microwave Oven That Is Right For YOU
- What features to look for in microwave oven?
- Top 15 Best Convection Microwave Ovens in India 2019
- Some Microwave Oven FAQs
Why you need to buy a microwave oven – 5 Awesome Benefits
- Less Time Spent In Kitchen: Microwaves cook faster than gas stoves. You can quickly make soups, pastas, cakes – without spending time standing in front of the stove.
- Healthier Food: Microwaves cook in a way that they preserve the nutrition.
- No More Sweating: Microwaves don’t overheat your kitchen. They remain cool because they use electromagnetic waves to cook.
- Perfectly safe: Microwaves do fireless cooking – making them super safe to use. Good brands of microwave ovens have several safety features like automatic power cut off, child lock, etc.
- Easy to Clean Up: Microwave ovens can actually clean themselves up. You just need to put a bowl of water inside and let it run for 2 minutes. It will create steam and loosen any food spatters. Just wipe it down and you’re done!
- Does the function of both oven and microwave: Save on counter space with an appliance that does both!
What are the types of microwave ovens available in India?
It can be confusing when there are so many types of microwave ovens available. This comparison shows the types of microwave ovens available in the Indian market.
#1. Solo microwave oven
This is a pure microwave – and is best for reheating and simple cooking. Ideal for bachelors or young couple without kids. Solo microwave ovens are used in office cafeterias and other such commercial places. You can use them to make 2 minute quick breakfast meals, cook or reheat MTR kind of pre-cooked meals.
- Benefits: Such models are the cheapest and most budget friendly microwave ovens. You can get one from 5,000 Rs to 7,000 Rs. Click Here To see the best solo microwave oven brand in India.
- Drawback: They can’t be used for grilling and baking purposes. So if you’re looking for the best microwave oven in India for baking – then keep reading.
Click Here To See Best Microwave Oven Below Rs 5000 (Solo)
#2. Grill microwave oven
These are good for reheating and grilling. If you’re looking to make quick dishes, but also chicken tandoori or paneer tikka once in a while – then this will do. These grill microwave ovens have heating coils which do grilling, toasting, and roasting.
- Benefits: They come with additional grilling accessories. Good for grilling chicken, meat, and vegetables like paneer. Both the functions of a microwave and grilling can run parallel – making delicious grills in minutes.
- Drawback: They can’t be used for baking purposes.
Click Here To See Best Microwave Oven Below Rs 5000 (Grill)
#3. Convection microwave oven
This kind of oven combines the function of both – a traditional oven and a microwave. It can use electromagnetic waves to heat or cook food. It has heat coils to grill and bake. The convection function is a fan that is used to circulate hot air for baking and more efficient cooking.
- Benefits: It can do the functions of all the above types of ovens PLUS baking. This is the ideal beginners oven for baking. It can be used to bake, cakes, pizzas and muffins. Grilling and baking can be done at the same time. It can also be done separately.
- Drawbacks: The price is more than a solo microwave oven. You get what you pay for.
Click Here To See Best Budget Microwave Oven
Finding the Best Convection Microwave Oven That Is Right For YOU
Before choosing which microwave oven to go for – decide on the following:
- Your budget: This is key. You can get solo microwave ovens under Rs 5000, while some convection microwave ovens are priced around Rs 15,000. There is no point in spending time at looking at high end microwave ovens when our budget it low.
- Your Family Size: Do you have guests come over a lot? Do you live in a joint family? Do you have more than 2 kids? Depending on your answer you will have to decide whether to go for a 20L one or a 28 L one. If you are a young couple then go for a 20L one. If your family size is more than 4 then consider a 28L one.
- Your Food Habits and Lifestyle: Does your family enjoy baked goodies a lot? Are you fond of making chicken tandoori at home? Do you enjoy experimenting in the kitchen with grill foods etc? If yes, then you need to go for a good convection microwave oven with 28L or above.
- Your Kitchen Size: Most people don’t think about this till your oven arrives home. Then you begin to look for a place to keep it. So, before deciding which one to buy, go to your kitchen and see where you can place it. How much space do you have? That will decide which microwave oven you can go for.
This is why we have compiled this Comprehensive Best Microwave Oven In India 2019 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide based on all the above parameters so that you can make the correct choice. Once you have decided all the above, you can now look at the features to decide which one to go for.
What features to look for in microwave oven?
#1. Automated Cooking Options
Some good user friendly microwave ovens have shortcut keys for specific food items like for making pizzas, popcorns or soups. Some keys come with predefined cooking temperatures and times. So if you want to make a pizza – you don’t have to enter the temperature and time each time. There will be a button that is programmed to make the pizza. You just have to press it. Similarly, you get the following auto cook options in many microwave ovens:
- Defrost Mode: A good feature to have if you have lots of frozen food. One click defrost button comes in handy when you have sudden guests coming over.
- Steam Cooking: Making idlis and momos has never been easier with a microwave. You don’t need to buy separate utensils for making momos or other steamed dishes.
- Cake/Tandoori chicken/Indian Food: Some new models of microwave ovens are now coming with pre built settings for ½ kg cake, tandoori chicken and many more Indian dishes.
- Combination Mode: Good convection microwaves can now even support combination mode. So you can grill – then bake. Or you can also grill while baking at the same time.
Benefits of Automated Cooking Options: If you have hungry kids troubling you – then you can easily just put the plate in the microwave and then click a button. Saves you the trouble of finding the right settings when kids are pulling at you.
#2. Size and capacity
Size and capacity are very important factors to be considered when looking for a microwave oven. Capacity of a microwave is measured in liters which means the volume of space that is available inside. The size of the microwave you need is based on your family size and the amount of food you’ll be cooking. It’s not good to buy a large microwave if you’re going to heat only small quantities of food as there won’t be efficient heating and unnecessary power consumption as well.
- A young couple or bachelors can do with a small sized microwave of 18-20 litres.
- Anyone using microwaves only for heating food, then you can go with an under 20 liters microwave.
- As most Indian families, are usually mid sized with 4 to 6 members, you can go with a 25-30 liters one. It can come very handy when guests come over.
Tip: If you are going for a large capacity microwave oven then make sure it has the microwavable metal stand that will raise your food near the top and evenly distribute the heat.
#3. Watts/ Power Rating
Watts is a unit of power. Wattage gives an idea about the power being consumed by your microwave.
- The higher the wattage of microwave the more power is being consumed.
- Today’s smart microwaves come with intelligent heating systems that helps to reduce the power consumption.
- Higher watts rating will make cooking faster, but will increase your electricity bill as well.
- Microwaves ovens can have wattages ranging from 600-1500 watts.
#4. Child Safety Lock
The child lock feature is very good to have if you have children at home. Children end up pressing the wrong buttons during cooking can bring unwanted results. The child lock will keep both your children as well as the device safe.
Microwaves now have touch control panel, which are very sensitive and need to be handled very gently. If kids touch the panel even slightly then it can cause a button to get inadvertently pressed. In that it is better to have a mechanical panel or even a combination of both.
Designs are now more sleeker and smaller in design. They come in a range of colors including black. You may like to match the design to your fridge or your modular kitchen if you like.
The turntable feature is now available in most microwaves which means it has an automatic rotating plate. The great advantage is that your food gets cooked evenly, and you don’t have to turn the dish.
#7. Price Range
Prices for microwave ovens vary a lot on the brand, size, and type of microwave. A good way to approach buying a microwave is to have a budget or maximum price and then look for the best one in that price range. You will find a list below that has all the good microwave ovens in India with different price ranges for your budget.
Take the list of features mentioned above, and prioritize the most important ones according to your family’s needs. If you’re on a budget give up design and choose one with less wattage.
Some of the best brands of microwave ovens in India are Samsung, LG, Toshiba, and IFB. IFB and Toshiba are the only companies that offer a three-year warranty on their heating elements and body. All other brands only offer a one year warranty. After sales service and money being spent on this is also something you need to factor in.
Top 15 Best Convection Microwave Ovens in India 2019
[amazon box=” B076D7JQ4N “]
[amazon box=” B01LF927AU “]
[amazon box=” B016XZP3DY “]
[amazon box=” B016ZLKJSU “]
Best microwave oven in India below 15000
[amazon box=” B01JEKO1WY “]
[amazon box=” B00OLUNDTK “]
[amazon box=” B00OLHQJD0 “]
Best microwave oven in India below 10000
[amazon box=” B00A7PGI18 “]
[amazon box=” B00AFABKO0 “]
[amazon box=” B008P7J3E4 “]
[amazon box=” B00F15AECS “]
Best microwave oven in India below 7000
[amazon box=” B0138EWYTO”]
[amazon box=” B008P7J4OI “]
[amazon box=” B006TQNOR0 “]
Some Microwave Oven FAQs
Do I have to preheat the microwave when I use it to just reheat food?
If you are using the microwave to just reheat then there is no need to preheat the microwave. Only when you use the convection mode which is used for baking or grilling then you need to preheat it.
Why can’t metal objects be used in microwave ovens?
Microwaves radiation that is used for heating gets reflected by metal. When too much radiation gets directed to one particular point then it can result in sparks. This can damage the microwave oven and may even cause a fire. Please avoid using metal objects in microwave mode.
So, how do I know which utensils can be used for cooking in the microwave?
Microwave safe utensils have a statement printed “microwave safe” at the bottom. This certifies the utensils to be safe for use in microwave cooking. Your everyday plastic containers may not melt in the microwave, but they can cause harm in the long run. So only use plasticware that says “microwave safe”.
All metal utensils – even utensils with metallic trims should not be used in the microwave. There are some metal plates, racks and attachments that may come with your microwave. It will be specified on these metal utensils that they are microwave safe. Then you can use them in your microwave with ease.
How do I clean my microwave oven?
- For the inside: One of the best things for microwaves is that they are super easy to clean up. You can warm up a cup of water with a little bit of lemon juice (optional). Run your microwave for one minute and all the smells will be gone. The steam from the water will loosen the dirt and make it easy for you to simply wipe it down and you’re done.
- For the outside: The outside of your microwave will usually be stainless steel. Please avoid using soap scouring pads, harsh cleaners, steel scrubbers. These can cause damage.
You can use a stainless steel cleaner and polish. A good liquid detergent or all-purpose cleaner also works well. Simply, rinse with clean water and dry with soft, lint-free cloth. You can also use vinegar for those hard water spots.
Hope this buying guide helps you choose the right microwave oven for your family. If you have any questions about which one to go for, tell us in comments below – and we will reply to your query very, very soon. Happy Choosing!!