Our Top Picks
Sewing is a favorite hobby of many Indian moms and homemakers. If you’re looking for a good sewing machine – then this Best sewing machine for home use in India 2019 Review and Buyers Guide is a must read. It explains in depth everything you need to know before buying one.
After becoming a mom, I always wanted to make cute clothes, costumes and soft toys for my kids. But I just could not decide which sewing machine is best for home use, and so I kept putting the decision off.
Finally, there was a costume competition in my son’s school and he wanted to go as a “Pirate”. We live quite far from the city and it was not possible to go and buy a costume from the market. So we just put clothes together and I had to stay awake all night to hand stitch it.
That’s when I decided that I will research for the best sewing machine for home use and finally buy one. I found one of the cheap and best sewing machine in India. The model I chose was within my budget and I still don’t have any problems using it. I will tell which one I chose, but before that let’s see which one is right for YOU.
If you’re in a hurry then here are the best options:
- If you’re looking for a sewing machine for beginners, go for this one.
- If you have done sewing before and want to do advanced stitching go for this one.
- If you’re on a budget and looking for a good value sewing machine, go for this one.
To make a more informed decision, I would suggest you read the article completely and then make your OWN informed decision. After all, it’s your hard earned money – and Rs 10,000 is not a small amount.
- Which sewing machine is right for you depends upon the following.
- What are different types of sewing machines available in India?
- 11 Main features to look for in a sewing machine
- What Are the Advantages of the Best Brands? Why Should I spend on a branded sewing machine?
- What Are the Prices to Expect With the Best Brands?
- Top 15 Best Sewing Machines in India With Price 2019
- Benefits of Having a Sewing Machine in Your House
Which sewing machine is right for you depends upon the following.
Your Budget: Decide this FIRST. Because everyone has a budget. We all want the best things in life, but knowing what we can afford is the first step to choosing the one that’s good for you. What is the point of looking at that the best high end features when you are on a limited budget. Always know that there will be a machine that will have the best of the best features, but so will it’s price. So stick to that budget.
How often you will use: We are all busy moms. So, if you’re looking at a sewing machine for purely for hobbies – ask yourself how many times a month you’ll use it.
Noise factor: This is often not thought about when buying a sewing machine. So, if you plan to sew at night or when kids are sleep – then get one that makes less noise, like this one. Think. If you’ll always be worried that your child will wake up – you won’t be able to use it much. Go for quiet sewing machines.
What are different types of sewing machines available in India?
Most people don’t know about the different kinds of sewing machines that are available in India. Each machine as its specific use. We have brought you all information on different kinds of sewing machines.
#1. Mechanical Sewing Machines:
Mechanical sewing machines are what your tailor or darzi bhaiya uses. They are huge and take up a lot of space. They have very less features and all setting are done manually. Stitch patterns are limited. Still, they are in use and some are also available online.
There are mini mechanical sewing machines also. It has limited features and are manually operated. The problem is that this type of sewing machine doesn’t have electric pedals. You have to pedal them manually. Stitch quality is not very high, and so the price is also low.
#2. Electronic Sewing Machines:
Electronic sewing machines come with motorized pedals. These mini sewing machines are compact, light-weighted and user friendly. Some of the features include:
- Inbuilt thread cutter
- Needle threader
- Flexible needle positioning
- Adjustable thread tension
- Start and stop button
- Many stitch patterns like hemming, quilting, embroidering and reverse stitching.
- Zip fixing and more
Some electronic sewing machines in india also have USB connectivity for a great sewing experience. These sewing machines are best for beginners, boutique owners, normal tailors and even fashion designers. You will find good sewing machines in india with price of Rs 10,000 to Rs 3000. Decide as per your budget and stitching need.
#3. Embroidery Sewing Machines:
Embroidery sewing machine is like an electronic sewing machine, but with additional features specially made for doing embroideries. You will get an inbuilt embroidery foot for ease of using. These are not for beginners. Professionals can use it to make good design patterns and beautiful embroideries. These are slightly expensive, but the features are good. Buy it only if you are planning on doing these complex designs.
#4. Overlock Sewing Machines:
These are also known as Sergers. Overlock sewing machines are the best kind of sewing machine you can get. It it not like your normal sewing machine – as they come with different modes of functions. They can use many number of threads together.
Overlock sewing machines have 5 inbuilt stitch patterns:
- single thread stitch patterns.
- two threaded stitch patterns.
- three threaded stitch patterns.
- four threaded patterns.
- five threaded stitch patterns.
You can make stitching loops as this machine comes with needles and loopers.
11 Main features to look for in a sewing machine
This sewing machine buying guide will help you look into all the features and benefits before choosing. Once your budget is final then the main question is about the kind of stitches that a machine can do.
Don’t get carried away by the number of stitches but choose a machine that has stitches that you will really use.
For basic sewing you there are only two stitches required. Straight stitches and zigzag stitches. All basic or beginners sewing machine can do this. But, of course getting some additional stitches does make sewing easier and nicer.
Here is a list of stitches you need to look for in a machine:
- Straight Stitch: Straight stitches need to be adjustable from 0 – 5mm. 0 setting allows you to lock stitches while the 5mm stitch length allows you to baste and gather. For regular setting you usually sew with 2.5mm stitch length. If you are able to adjust stitch length you will be able to do more beautiful sewing. Look for sewing machines where this is easy to control.
- ZigZag Stitch: Zigzag stitches should be adjustable in both stitch length and stitch width.
- Buttonhole Stitch: A buttonhole stitch is just an automated zigzag stitch. Machines that have zigzag stitches, also have the buttonhole feature.
- Blind Hem Stitch: These stitches create invisible hems on skirts, pants, or saris. This is the stitch used for doing “piku” on saris.
- Stretch or Knit Stitch: Some stitches are good for sewing with knits. These stitches allow the knits cloth materials to stretch (but not pop the threads) once they are stitched. These are good to have and can be used for decorative purposes and more advanced sewing.
With that out the way, now you can also consider the following features before deciding:
#1. Mini, Portable and Lightweight.
If you are not a boutique owner – then you’re not going to have your sewing machine out ALL the time, isn’t it? We don’t have the luxury of huge houses anymore. You will need to have a small and compact mini sewing machine. So that you can easily store it away in their their cabinet or almirah. A lightweight and portable sewing machine is good because you may have to lift it up while storing away or taking it out. Try to look for a design which has a handle on the top of the cover for ease of carrying.
We find this one to be one of the best mini sewing machine for home use in India.
#2. Feed Dogs Adjustment:
Sewing machine feed dogs help you to sew straight lines of quality stitches without always having to adjust the cloth. Feed dogs are metal ridges that are present below the throat plate of a sewing machine. They move as you sew, helping the fabric pass through with high-quality stitches.
In older machines you have to constantly have to stretch and hold the fabric in place. These kind of sewing machines are made for home use only. This feature is also very important if you’re looking to do embroidery on your clothes.
#3. Needle Threader:
Who wants to spend those frustrating 3 minutes putting the thread through the hole? A needle threader allows the sewing machine to pull the thread through the needle. This saves a lot of your time and effort – allowing you to get right to the joys of sewing without wasting precious time.
#4. Needle Position:
Good sewing machines allow their needles to move around. This feature is important because it allows you to move the needle over your cloth to make designs. Your sewing machine will be able to lift the pressure foot and turn corners without using a jump stitch. If you’re into making soft toys, baby clothes, frocks this is important feature to consider. Also very helpful in making patterns, embroidery and frills.
Tension adjustment feature allows you to adjust how tight the thread is held. You may need to change the thread tension as per the stitching task. You can do basic stitching with the normal setting.
If you’re a beginner don’t worry too much about this. But if you’re planning on doing topstitching, satin-stitching, and embroidering – you may have to increase the tension. Check the maximum stitch length and the width of the sewing machine. This will help you know how much tension adjustment you have.
#6. Speed Control:
The best sewing machines come with good speed control features. Speed controls help you decide the speed at which your machine works. It also helps to decide the speed at which cloth is fed through the machine. If you get a good constant speed without stopping in between – it will help you get good quality stitching.
#7. Presser Feet:
Always check to see how many presser feet your sewing machine comes with before buying one. Pressure foots regulate how tightly the machine holds the cloth while you sew. Most beginners sewing machines come with a good multi-purpose foot. You can do straight, zigzag stitches and other basic stitching with a basic presser foot. For the more complex stitching tasks, you need more advanced zipper foot or a buttonhole foot. Decide as per your stitching requirement.
If you’re looking for a beginner sewing machine in india go for this one.
If you’re looking for an advanced sewing machine in india go for this one.
There are many different speciality presser feet to choose from. Some of the best sewing machine brands in India offer good, multipurpose, and adjustable presser foots. Choose as per your requirement.
#8. Automatic Buttonholer:
The automatic buttonholer does exactly that. You can make holes in shirts, without much trouble. You won’t have to stop and turn the fabric of your shirt. You can insert the button into the slot easily and the machine sews a buttonhole in it. It is very useful for doing automatic zigzag stitches.
The best user friendly sewing machine in india.
#9. Power Switch:
A simple feature that gives a safety element. This allows you to switch your sewing machine on or off. If you have kids or pets in the house, this is a good feature to look out for. This will prevent any accidents in case your daughter or son decide to play with it.
#10. Top-Load Bobbin:
The latest models of sewing machines are now coming with a top-load bobbin. A top load allows you just open the panel on top and load your bobbin. Some models come with a transparent cover so that you can see when the thread is running low.
#11. Good Ergonomics and Controls:
The best sewing machine with all features is useless if you’re not able to use it easily. You should always look for a sewing machine that has user friendly controls. It should be responsive to pressure of the foot pedal. It should be able to take both thin, thick, and multiple layer fabrics without trouble or snags. Easy controls will allow you to reach, adjust them and get control.
What Are the Advantages of the Best Brands? Why Should I spend on a branded sewing machine?
Unlike other household items, with sewing machines brands matter a lot. Choosing from the well known and old sewing machine brands will give you quality, great customer service and peace of mind.
- Some good brands sewing machine online in india are Usha, Singer and Brother.
- You will pay about 20 to 30% less than retail price when you buy online.
- These brands send a demo person to your house to show you all the features and workings of the machine.
- You can do all this without going to the market or wasting your precious time on weekends.
- All good brands give warranty for sewing machines for over a year.
What Are the Prices to Expect With the Best Brands?
The prices of the best brands of sewing machines in India can range from Rs 3000 to 10,000. Let’s compare sewing machines indian brands:
For example the best singer sewing machine for home use in india is the Singer 8280 Sewing Machine and it costs about Rs 11,000. But if you’re a looking for a starter singer sewing machine then the Singer Start 1306 Sewing Machine costs about Rs 7000.
Usha is also counted among the best sewing machine in india with price within budgets. You can get the Usha Bandhan for basic stitching for under 3000. But it is a mechanical sewing machine which you will find difficult to use. Usha International Ltd Prime Sewing Machine is a tried and tested sewing machine under Rs 8000.
Top 15 Best Sewing Machines in India With Price 2019
[amazon bestseller=”Sewing Machine” items=”4″]
Best sewing machine in India under 15000
[amazon box=” B00FXSOJQK “]
[amazon box=” B018KFT0HA “]
[amazon box=” B008BOSPGS “]
[amazon box=” B01877TXY6 “]
[amazon box=” B01N5BR6U8 “]
Best sewing machine in India under 10000
[amazon box=” B00E9ORA4M “]
[amazon box=” B00E9OFDH8 “]
[amazon box=” B001CBZB5K “]
Best sewing machine in India under 8000
[amazon box=” B00SWI4J18 “]
[amazon box=” B00FSC9PBK “]
Best sewing machine in India under 5000
Best sewing machine in India under 3000
[amazon box=” B07JN2J87W “]
Sewing machines are one of those appliances that will always be used. If you’re seriously interested in sewing, then you must get one. Besides the joy of sewing – you’ll also get the following benefits of a sewing machine in the house.
Benefits of Having a Sewing Machine in Your House
- Saves money: A good sewing machine gives you the ability to make your own clothes. It usually pays for itself in a year or two, when you count the savings. Best sewing machine for making clothes
- No more running behind tailor: You can do “rafu”, phaul, piku and any other alteration work. Usually Indian tailors don’t like to do this work and take lot of time as well. Going to a tailor – requesting and running behind is a tiresome activity. You can avoid it by having a good mini sewing machine for home use.
- Make your kids stand out with awesome costumes: We all want our children to do well and gain confidence in school. Coming to school on costume day, Halloween or Christmas in a well made costume can do wonders for your child. Imagine how much fun you’ll have making it together. I still remember my mom making a pari (fairy) costume for me in my childhood.
- Spend quality time with kids making stuffed animals: Kids love stuffed toys. It doesn’t take long to go to the shop and buy one. It makes lifelong memories -when you sit down and make something with your child. Your child will always cherish that ONE toy you made for her. Best sewing machine in india for stuff toys.
- Make money saving craft projects: You can make any kind of home crafts with a good sewing machine. Crafts make great DIY projects. Your child will learn to make use of things you have in the house – instead of just spending money outside. You can make dolls clothes, bags, embroidery or custom hankies. You can use old things to make new ones. For example you can use old jeans to make bags. This teaches a life long valuable lesson to your child.