This post may contain affiliate links.
A baby’s skin is supposed to be soft and supple naturally. As moms, we want to use the best oils to massage our babies. In today’s times of extreme pollution and adulteration, it is imperative to use high quality and natural oils and lotions for baby’s skin care.
Remember the “Googly Woogly Wooksh” Ad of our yesteryears, by a popular cream brand? Well, that’s exactly how a baby’s skin has to be – velvety soft and the one you cannot let go of. For that soft velvety skin, it is important to keep the babies moisturized at all times. Instead of moisturizers and other lotions, the best way to keep a baby’s skin soft is using natural oils.
A daily massage with natural oils is very important for a baby’s wellness. These natural oils are not only beneficial for the skin but are also the best baby massage oils for strong bones. They also help to develop a deeper bond between mom and baby by encouraging more skin to skin contact.
There are a variety of natural oils that are available in the market today. Here is a list of top 7 oils which are best of babies.
7 Safe and Best Oils for Baby Massage
#1. Organic Virgin Coconut Oil For Baby Massage
Coconut oil is the best choice for summer – and always. It is the best solution to get rid of summer dryness and rashes that are caused due to excessive heat. Coconut oil is suitable for a baby’s sensitive skin. Coconut oil has antioxidants which protect the baby’s skin from skin cell damage and inflammation thus making a baby’s skin soft and healthy.
It also helps in treating eczema, rashes, and patches. Coconut oil also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, thus making it a perfect choice for baby skin. Coconut oil is good to apply before and after a bath. Application before a bath keeps the skin hydrated and after bath makes the baby’s skin smooth and silky.
Benefits of coconut oil for babies
- Diaper Rash: Coconut oil is the best gharelu nushka or home remedy for diaper rash in babies. Extra Virgin Coconut oil is the better way to treat diaper rash over talc and chemical laden coconut oil. Coconut oil acts as a protective layer and even prevents diaper rash from happening in the first place – if you massage your baby daily with it. It has many antibacterial properties that prevents irritation to your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Eczema: Coconut Oil the choice for treating dry skin conditions like eczema because it has many antioxidant and antibacterial properties. The nourishing vitamins present in coconut oil help to keep your baby’s skin dry and cool.
- Removing Meconium: Your baby’s first poop is called meconium – which is going to be a very viscous and tar-like sticky substance. Meconium is extremely hard to get out off your child’s skin. Since too much rubbing can cause rashes on your baby coconut oil is a great choice.
- Thrush or Candida: Coconut oil even has antifungal properties and can be easily applied to treat the yeast that causes thrush and candida. During breastfeeding, mom and baby can both get infected. Wiping your baby’s mouth and dabbing a small amount of coconut oil inside the baby’s mouth is a good home remedy for thrush. Mommies can eat virgin coconut oil and apply the same to her nipples just before breastfeeding and even after. Also, check the diaper and folds of skin for any signs of thrush and apply coconut oil to help treat it.
- Bug Bites and Stings: Coconut oil can be applied directly to a bug bite and provide relief from the itching and burning sensation. Babies are more prone to mosquito bites than us as they are not able to fend off these pests. Babies have super sensitive skin, and the area can turn red and become swollen. Coconut oil is the best home remedy for bug bites as it has natural antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties.
- Ringworm:You can apply coconut oil to the infected area 7-10 times per day until fully healed.
- Teething Pain Reliever: Coconut oil is can be rubbed directly onto gums of teething babies to ease teething pains.
I have used this brand also and loved it. After a few days I switched to this brand, as it was quite similar and offered a better price. Both are organic and cold pressed – which is what I look for in a good brand of coconut oil.
#2. Mustard Oil For Baby Massage
It’s the best oil for baby skin in winters. Massaging babies with mustard oil in winter is advisable as it provides warmth to the babies.
Usually, I try to get fresh pressed mustard oil from a mill. This is because in India, mustard oil is very widely used in cooking. It has been difficult for me to identify a good brand of mustard oil that meets my criteria and is affordable as well. So, I prefer to trust oil that has been milled in front of me.
However, I do use this one and sometimes this brand of mustard oil as well, when I am unable to get some from a mill.
As mustard oil is very strong, it can be mixed with other oils, like olive oil. Using mustard oil infused with garlic, fenugreek or carom seed helps in increasing immunity in babies and in soothing them during cough and cold in winters.
Method: To do this – simply heat 100 ml of mustard oil till it gives of fumes. Once the oil begins to turn light green in colour then add a pinch of hing and 4 to 5 cloves of garlic. Switch of the gas and let the oil come to room temperature. You can strain this oil and use for your baby.
Benefits of Mustard Oil for babies
- Keeps baby warm: During winters, massaging with mustard oil works like an insulator and helps to keep your baby warm. Using mustard oil for massaging infants to strengthen their bones and stimulate blood circulation is a traditional practise in India.
- Home remedy for cough and cold: Massaging regularly with mustard oil helps to prevent cough and cold during winters. The pungent and strong smell of mustard oil along with the anti bacterial properties of garlic helps to reduce nasal and chest congestions.
- Relief from asthma: Mustard oil along with camphor can provide instant relief from asthma. Heat mustard oil with camphor and massage into chest for about 5-7.
- Good for head massage: Massaging regularly with mustard oil helps in stimulating hair growth. Mustard oil has many fatty acids such as oleic acid and linoleum acid which regulate blood circulation in the scalp region and increase hair growth.
- Acts as an insect repellent: The strong and pungent smell of mustard oil can protect against insects as well. Instead of using mosquito repellents that have DEET and other chemicals, use mustard oil.
- Can open up sweat pores: Mustard oil helps in opening up sweat pores of our bodies. It is believed that mustard oil should only be used in winter. But this is not true as this property is useful even during summers. Opening of the sweat pores causes sweat to get released which reduces the amount of toxins in your baby’s body.
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties: Mustard oil also has many antibacterial properties that can kill E coli and S typhi, both of which cause many diseases. Mustard oil is also effective against fungal infections because of its antifungal properties.
#3. Almond Oil For Baby Massage
Almond oil is a very rich source of Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and E and is high in antioxidants. It is good for a baby’s skin as well as hair. It is good for babies for all age groups. It gives babies a very soft and glowing skin. It also helps to repair dry skin in babies. Massaging Almond oil on babies nails helps in making nails stronger and shiny. It’s best to use pure almond oil on baby skin.
I have always used Hamdard’s almond oil as it that the best reputation for almond oil. However I also like this brand as it is organic almond oil.
Benefits of Almond Oil for babies (Badam Oil)
- Lush eyelashes: Regular Massage with almond oil results in the beautiful growth of eyelashes. This is why traditionally homemade badam ka kajal was made to use for baby’s eyes. Be sure not to let the sweet almond oil enter eyes of your baby.
Promotes hair growth: Sweet almond oil can help your baby’s hair grow longer and stay strong. Almond oil also prevents hair fall and gives shiner hair to your baby.
- Home remedy for dry skin: There are many fatty acids and Vitamins like Vitamin A and Vitmain E that are present in almond oil. These are very beneficial which makes it the best home remedy to repair dry skin. Almond oil is especially beneficial during winters to treat chapped and flaky skin.
- Reduces skin inflammation: Almond oil has ursolic and oleic acids which reduce skin inflammation and helps in the healing of skin cells. It is soothing and prevents itching. Regular use can prevent skin infections like eczema and psoriasis.
- Natural emollient: Almond oil is a light oil that is also rich in linoleic acid which makes it a great natural emollient for your baby’s skin. It helps in softening and nourishing without clogging your baby’s pores. Apply daily before and after giving bath to baby.
- Helps baby sleep better: Almond oil has soothing and relaxing properties provide relief to the strained and sore muscles in your baby’s body. A relaxed baby sleeps longer, so add an almond oil massage to your bedtime routine.
- Favorable for bone development: Vitamin D and minerals like calcium are present in almond oil which , promotes healthy development of bones.
#4. Sesame Oil For Baby Massage (Til Ka Tel)
It is one of the best oil for Ayurvedic Massages for babies. It is good for overall wellness in babies. Sesame oil has anti-bacterial and anti –inflammatory properties. It works wonders for babies with dry skin. It’s good to be applied after a bath as it helps protect baby skin from UV rays. Sesame seed oil is also a good laxative for babies more than a year old.
I like this one because it’s organic sesame oil. I also like this brand as it comes at par, but is not available in bigger packs.
Benefits of Sesame Oil for babies
- Detoxifying: One of the best benefits of sesame oil for babies is that it removes toxins from the body. Very few massage oils known to do this.
- Gives Warmth: Sesame oil creates a warming sensation upon massage which is very good for babies, especially during winters.
- Laxative: Sesame oil quickly provides relief from constipation. Many breastfed babies find it hard to pass stool from time to time. Massaging with sesame oil provides relief and regular bowel movements.
- Sunscreen: Sesame oil has mild natural SPF properties. Though it is not a proper sunblock, you can massage your baby with it and let her soak up some Sun during winters. This helps babies to generate Vitamin D.
- Anti-bacterial: Sesame oil has many anti bacterial properties which are effective against many strains of bacteria.
- Anti-inflammatory: Sesame oil aids in reducing inflammation because of healthy fatty acids in it. Sesame oil also has many antioxidants and does not spoil because of these antioxidant nutrients.
#5. Castor Oil For Baby Massage
Castor oil is very good for babies with dry skin. It is good for baby’s hair as well. A massage of castor oil on the scalp helps in thickening the hair and soothing the scalp. While applying one needs to keep caution and avoid baby’s eyes and lips. It also helps in bone development in babies. A massage of hot castor oil can relieve colic pain in babies.
I had always got castor oil locally when I used it. Though this brand of castor oil is organic and cold pressed, I was not able to identify their Organic Certification.
Benefits of Castor Oil For Babies
- Effective Against Colic: Castor oil is a good home remedy for colic. You can heat a bottle of castor oil by placing it in a pan of hot water. When oil becomes lukewarm, massage it on your baby’s tummy in a clockwise motion for relief from colic.
- Immunity: Regular use of castor oil helps to strengthen immunity in babies and helps them fight infections.
- Home Remedy For Constipation: Castor oil is a good gharelu nuskha for preventing constipation.
- Stimulates Hair Growth: Castor oil is goof stimulating hair growth in babies because it contains vitamin E. Castor oil promotes circulation of blood to the scalp, preventing bacterial or fungal infections. It can be used to cure cradle cap as well.
- Anti Allergenic: Castor oil is anti-allergenic in nature, and helps the body to tackle naso-pharyngeal allergies.
- Anti-inflammatory: Babies who get tummy ache can be given some castor oil. It’s has anti-inflammatory properties which bring about relief from pain. If your baby is younger than 6 months then only massage oil onto her tummy. When your baby begins to take solids, you can consult a doctor and give castor oil for stomach pains.
#6. Olive Oil For Baby Massage
Olive oil is a very popular massage oil for babies. It can be used in every season. However I trust our native “Indian” oils like coconut and mustard over olive oil for massage. I have used it to dilute mustard oil sometimes.
Olive oil helps in skin regeneration in babies and keeps the skin soft and healthy. Rubbing olive on baby’s stomach also helps in relieving constipation and gas problems in babies. For some babies with sensitive skin, it is sometimes not suitable as it increases skin permeability and causes further skin problems.
Always go for a good organic virgin cold pressed olive oil. I am still searching for one I like a lot, and will update this section when I do. If you come across a great one, please do let me know.
Benefits of olive oil for babies
- Treats Cradle Cap: Virgin olive oil is very effective in treating cradle cap. Cradle cap is like a thick layer of dandruff that causes large, oily, yellowish flaky patches on your baby’s scalp. Cradle cap is common is new babies till 4 to 5 months of age. Pure olive oil, has hydrating properties which acts like a natural home remedy in removing cradle caps in babies.
- Treats diaper rashes: Olive oil is great for treating as well as preventing diaper rashes as well. Olive oil creates a barrier between your baby’s sensitive baby’s skin and the frequent poops. Reduction in direct contact prevents diaper rashes.
- Cleansing agent: Olive oil has been traditionally used by many cultures for cleaning baby navel and nose. Extra Virgin olive oil is a good lubricant and it softens any accumulated dirt in these parts making it easy to clean.
- Repair damaged skin: Babies have highly sensitive skin, which olive oil helps to protect. Olive oil can repair damaged skin cells which can due to many reasons like exposure to UV rays, and pollution.
- Good for the lips: Olive oil is at a molecular level very similar to breastmilk. This is what makes it an amazing home remedy for dry lips of your baby. Use it daily directly like a lip balm, but don’t let too much go into your baby’s mouth.
- For better nail health: Olive oil is easily absorbed into your baby’s skin and nails. This helps it to soften the nails and cuticles.
- Treats Constipation: Olive oil is a great laxative. Gently rubbing it on your child’s stomach, is a tried and tested home remedy for constipation in babies. The most effective way to ease constipation in your baby is to rub lukewarm olive oil on the tummy in a clockwise motion.
#7. Ghee For Baby Massage
Ghee or clarified butter is important not only for the skin but for the overall wellness of babies. In the growing years, babies require more fat content in their diet and ghee is one of the healthiest sources of fats in a diet. A gentle massage of warm ghee on a baby’s chest can help in relieving severe chest congestion. Rubbing clove infused ghee on the nose and around the baby’s ears help in curing a cold.
A lot of good oils are available in the market, but nothing can beat the goodness of pure oils. They are the healthiest and the best options when it comes to taking care of your babies. A regular massage with these oils helps to make a baby’s skin soft and healthy and also facilitates overall development in babies.
The best brand of ghee in my opinion is homemade ghee. Yes, the one you make at home! It’s quite easy and you can be absolutely sure you’re giving the best to your child. If you run of out ghee (as we sometimes do) I get this brand of organic ghee.
Benefits of Ghee For Baby Massage
- For treating eczema: Eczema is a skin condition in which babies develop itchy, red, and swollen skin. Ghee has anti-inflammatory properties which help in the treatment of eczema. Ghee is an excellent moisturizer and will soften the rough and infected skin. Regular use of ghee will prevent the cracking of your baby’s dry skin.
- Protects from cold: Ghee protects babies from cold. Ghee massage helps in better blood circulation and overall growth of babies. Regular massage will ensure that your baby’s skin remains smoother and supple.
- Treats dry cough and cold: Dry cough can be treated effectively with ghee massage. Massage warm ghee into your baby’s chest and back to fight chest congestion and cough. Apply a little bit of ghee in your baby’s nose to reduce symptoms of cold.
- Increases immunity: Ghee is a very good source of anti-oxidants which helps to fight infections. When you massage your baby with ghee – it helps to increase her immunity.
- Relieves constipation: Massaging lukewarm ghee into your baby’s tummy will reduce constipation problems in your baby.
What oil do you use to massage your baby? Which oil is best for your baby? Share below!